Saturday, January 08, 2011

Breeding Project: Cherry Barb

So! Its been a while since I've last visited or added to this page. Seems about that time once again.

Moved into a new place with more space, and with that gained 3 tanks and a number of small temporary container setups. Increased species count on fish (+5), invertebrates (+2), and plants (+6).

Anyway, I'm once again more involved with my aquaria with a renewed passion for breeding and thus, will be more dedicated in the next coming months.

While the new tanks are established, lots of work will need to be done on all of these. However, time is precious in terms of growth so I must utilize as much of it as possible. In the next week, I will be conditioning the breeding pair and prepare the 5 gallon breeder for it's latest task. A new pair of Cherry Barbs have been purchased from Big Al's, however, I will not be using this pair to breed with. Instead, I will be using the last Cherry Barb (a female) from my original brood as she seems to be full of eggs already and more than ready to reproduce.

As I am typing this, I've already commenced enticement. I've bagged the male and placed him in the breeder tank where the female is currently residing. Visual contact is always a very powerful stimulus, but I will be exchanging water from the tank and the bag shortly after. This is because I speculate that the two individuals are releasing chemicals into the water to advertise their breeding potential.

Much work is needed since I need to give the 5 G a good cleaning and will be going out to purchase more marbles for the tank. Removal of the other inhabitants will also occur, but the question becomes where to put them. I have once again obtained a culture of Microworms which I am trying to propagate. However, I am running into difficulties.. already having to throw one out due to it's virality. Much work will be needed to ensure proper culturing although I fear my efforts are wasting. The starter culture is already becoming inviable with the two additional cultures I made beginning to struggle.

We shall see what happens in the coming week. I also need to begin focusing more into school. All this work, is it really worth it?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home