Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Breeding Project: Cherry Barb

I really need to update this more often.. but I can never bring myself to doing it! So on the 19th, eyes became developed as the young started to wiggle more. Two were noticed to enjoy hanging in the upright position (nose pointed upwards where the tail was pointing down to the ground). They seem to be developing on track, which is definitely a positive! The lack in numbers, however, is a bit worrisome but that is, on my part, all my fault. That is why these steps will be taken to further improve my capabilities for future spawns as I will now know what to expect.

October 20th; the yolk sac has gone down quite considerably and they are finally starting to resemble traditional fish larvae seen in books and other such sources. This is obviously a good sign, as the two out in the open are developing at a steady pace. Hopefully the addition of a heater in a couple weeks will aid the growing process. Still, there are currently only two being actively noticed as they sit in the open day-in and day-out. I'm hoping for a few more hiding in the filter sponge and within the najas.

Although today is the 21st, and in the morning, I most likely will not end up updating my finds later on tonight when I usually do most of my observations. I am leaving the city where these fish are staying at for a week, and I am heavily debating on whether or not I should take the young with me so I could care for them on my journey. It probably is in their best interest that I take them along, as I could be able to provide them a few more necessities. We'll see.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home